Apr 19, 2008

10-year plan to make Singapore a coral paradise

Tania Tan, Straits Times 19 Apr 08;

TURNING local waters into a coral paradise in 10 years - that is the plan of marine conservationists here.

The 2018 target is part of an ambitious drive to save Singapore's aquatic environment, said Mr Francis Lee, chairman of the consultative group Marine Roundtable.

Over 60 per cent of the country's coral reefs have been lost to development, with the remaining 40 per cent under constant threat from pollution and climate change.

'If we act now, it will be possible to turn Singapore into a coral paradise,' said Mr Lee, who is also overseeing Singapore's participation in the International Year of the Reef (IYOR) campaign.

full article on the wildsingapore news blog.

Joseph Lai has made a comment on this article: Removing Snaring Nets and Mind Traps on the flying fish friends blog

No comments: